We get questions about Broadway at the Beach every day. Visitors stop by Guest Services or drop us a post on social media wondering about all sorts of things. Most folks are intrigued by the sites, the sounds and the size of Broadway. We're asked about our fireworks, traveling performers and even the fish in our lake. So we thought we'd share ten interesting facts about Broadway that answer many of the questions we're asked.
- Broadway at the Beach's millions of visitors a year literally come from all over America and beyond. The top 5 states that send us visitors are North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, Ohio and Pennsylvania.
- Our 77 in-line shops and more than 70 seasonal kiosks offer everything from summer sandals, to delicious fudge, to beautiful jewelry and apparel. We even have a magic shop called Broadway Magic.
- Twelve nightlife venues provide a wide variety of entertainment from comedians performing at the Carolina Comedy Club to live music on outdoor patios and dueling pianos at Crocodile Rocks.
- Twenty-four attractions fill up your senses at Broadway. Tribute artists give high energy performances at Legends In Concert and at Ripley's Aquarium you can walk through a tunnel with sharks swimming overhead. You can even get your photo taken with a life-like wax model of your favorite star at the Hollywood Wax Museum Entertainment Center.
- There are more than 20 amusement rides in 3 different parks around Broadway. From kiddie rides to thrill rides, we've got it. It's also an adventure to soar over Lake Broadway on a zipline or have some fun just riding on the lake in a boat or giant bubble.
- Events are a regular part of the Broadway experience. Broadway at the Beach hosts an average of 20 events and/or festivals annually including several car shows, food and beverage events and charitable walks. And our annual tree lighting is one of the most popular events in the area as performers bring in the holiday season and we illuminate our 52 foot tree with 141,000 lights.
- Just how big is Lake Broadway? Our 23-acre lake is 100 feet across and 1 mile in length. Depths range from 3 to 15 feet.
- How many fish are in our lake? We've stopped counting! We originally stocked the lake with about 29,000 fish including Bream, Catfish, Hybrid Bass, Japanese Carp and Israeli Carp when we opened in 1995. A quick look around and you'll see that we have a pretty healthy (and growing) aquatic population that now also includes wildlife such as seagulls, turtles, ducks and more.
- Our fish consume approximately 34,000 pounds of fish food every year.
- Our most popular regular events are our fireworks shows held weekly at 10 p.m. during the summer and in conjunction with special events throughout the year. Weather permitting, we'll present 29 free fireworks shows this year.
Now that you have the facts, come out and enjoy!